Sunday, November 07, 2004

Stacey Erin Sands- Senior Voice Recital

Sarah Harive Presents
Stacey Erin Sands, Soprano
With
Marilyn Libbin, Piano

1. Introduction
2. A Simple Song from Mass- Leonard Bernstein
3. O del mio dolce ardor- Christoph Willibald von Gluck
4. Porgi, amor from Le Nozze di Figaro- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
5. Ach, ich fü hl’s from Die Zauberflöte- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
6. Gretchen am Spinnrade- Franz Schubert
7. Beau Soir- Claude Debussy
8. Après un rêve- Gabriel Fauré
9. Green Finch and Linnet Bird from Sweeny Todd- Stephen Sondheim
10. American Lullaby- Gladys Rich
11. My Funny Valentine from Babes in Arms- Richard Rodgers
12. Monica’s Waltz from The Medium- Gian Carlo Menotti
13. Art is Calling for Me from The Enchantress -Victor Herbert

O del mio dolce ardor
O my sweet ardor, desired object,
The breezes which you breathe, at last I breathe
Wherever I glance I see your lovely features
Love, in dreams I hold you, my thoughts imagine you
I happily hope and in the longing which fills my bosom
I seek you, I call you, I hope and I sigh.
Porgi, amor
Grant, love, some relief to my sorrow, to my sighing!
Either give me back my beloved or just let me die!
Ach, ich fü hl’s
Ah I feel it; it has vanished- forever gone,
the happiness of love!
Never will you, blissful hours, come back again to my heart.
See, Tamino, these tears flow, beloved one, for you alone.
If you do not feel the longing of love,
then peace will come to me in death.
Gretchen am Spinnrade (Gretchen at the Spinning Wheel)
My peace is gone, my heart is heavy;
it is finished forever and ever more.
Where he is not, I feel the grave, the entire world is soundless. I’ve lost my head, and my sense is gone.
I only go to the window to look for him.
I only leave the house to see him.
The way he walks, his noble face, his forceful eyes, his speech like an enchanted river, his hand in mine, and oh his kiss!
I long for him. Alas if I could grasp him and hold him.
And die with a kiss.
Oh if he could hold me. I could die with a kiss.
Beau Soir (Beautiful Evening)
When at sunset the rivers are rose tinted
And a warm breeze shivers across the wheat fields
A suggestion to be happy seem to emanates from all things
And rises toward the troubled heart.
A suggestion to savor the pleasure of being alive
While one is young and the evening is beautiful.
For we shall all go as the wave goes to sea, we go to the tomb.
Aprè s un rê ve (After a Dream)
In a sleep charmed by your image
I dreamed of happiness, a beautiful picture.
Your eyes were very soft
Your voice, pure and rich.
You were as radiant as a sky lit by the dawn.
You called me and I left the earth
to flee with you towards the light .
The heavens parted their clouds for us,
Splendors unknown, glimpses of divine light…
Alas, alas, sad awakening from dreams
I call to you, o night, give me back your illusions.
Return, return, in radiance, return, o night mysterious!

This recital was recorded live at Lakeside Presbyterian Church April 30th, 2004. I am very proud of this CD but I know I still have a long way to go in my artistic development.
Now for a few special thanks.

Mom and Dad you are amazing for all the years of driving me to and from rehearsals, lessons, concerts, and for spending huge amounts of money on lessons, instruments, music and whatever else I’ve needed along my journey. But thank you most of all for the support. You have always been there for me and assured me that I can do anything that I put my mind to. Thank you.

Sarah Harvie, you are an amazing teacher. Thank you for always pushing me to be my best. I will always have a special place in my heart for you.

My family, church family, teachers and friends, you have helped me to grow and become what I am today. Thank you all.