Sunday, November 07, 2004

One Breath Closer To You...

"ONE BREATH CLOSER TO YOU"- Rick Teepen

"One Breath Closer To You" was a single CD my dad made for all of our family. He wrote this CD after my grandfather (his dad) past away. My dad and his father were very close, as well as my grandpa was close to all of us grandkids. It was many months after his death that my dad told us about this CD. He then gave a CD to each one of our family members for Christmas in memory of my grandfather, Robert Teepen.
Rick Teepen, my dad, has had a passion for music since he was a kid. His parents never would let him have lessons as a kid, so he decided to teach himself. He would spend hours and hours working on piano/keyboard and singing. Although he can read music a little, for the most part he plays completely by ear. He has been involved and loved music since his childhood. He is currently the music ministry leader at our church and in charge of the praise band. He has also written two other CD's besides this one, including "Beacon - Rays of light" and "Feeling the Heat".

"One Breath Closer To You"

Written by: Rick Teepen - August 2001
Joe Auciello - Drums
Gary Campbell - Bass
Steve Witherbey - Acoustic and electric guitars
Connie Yoho - Vocals
Rick Teepen - Keyboards and vocals

Lyrics:
I remember the first time I saw him cry,
I couldn't have been more than two.
He just heard the news that his father had died,
There was nothing else he could do.
It was a special thing. It was a special think.

I remember the next time I saw him cry,
Broken nic nacs off a broken shelf.
Unplanned feelings he couldn't hide.
Tears not shed for himself.
It was a special thing. It was a special thing.

Now he's one breath closer to you.
A glimpse of heaven in view.
Now he's one step closer to you.
I'll savor the memories, till I get there too.

I remember the first time I cried out of fear,
A traumatic event facing me.
I cried out for help as I fought back the tears,
He was right by my side suddenly.
It was a special thing. It was a special thing.

I remember the first time I cried out of guilt,
The cruel things I said as a teen.
As a rebel, I destroyed all the bridges he built,
Two players on opposite teams.
It was a special thing. It was a special thing.

Now he's one breath closer to you.
A glimpse of heaven in view.
Now he's one step closer to you.
I'll savor the memories till I get there too.

I remember the first time they saw me cry,
I knew it was one and the same.
I just heard the news that my father might die,
I needed their love and it came.
It was a special thing. It was a special thing.

I remember the first time I saw him cry,
From father to son, to a son.
Side by side with heads held high,
We knew a new life had begun.
It was a special thing. It was a special thing.

Now he's one breath closer to you.
A glimpse of heaven in view.
Now he's one step closer to you.
I'll savor the memories till I get there too.

Thank you...Joe, Gary, Steve, and Connie for your help and God given gifts
Thank you...God for giving Dad to me for fourty-three years