Sunday, October 10, 2004

Music on the computer..

Just like the other sections of this seminar, I have really enjoyed the technology part of the FYS. I have also used a little bit of Finale 2003, but never 2004. This version is great and is VERY helpful and pretty easy to use. One of the great parts about this is the fact that you can play music on the keyboard and it will just show up right on the screen. I have noticed that for some people it is hard to do this, because they don't have great piano skills, however, I think this is great for them also. Not only are they learning about the technology, but they are also getting better at playing the piano. There are many things to learn and take out of this class. I have also noticed with myself, that this has really made me compose more. Not only is it fun for me, but now it is so much faster. I really would like to get a keyboard and connect it to my computer in my room. It would be such a benefit for me, except maybe the fact that I wouldn't get sleep anymore.
In the acid program we have an assignment to compose our own piece using loops, which are small sections of music that repeat, and it has to have some kind of form (ex.- ABA). Although this takes lots of time, it is a really cool program. I myself, am composing a little bit of techno mixed with some strings. This is really a great experience, and I'm looking forward to another week of it!