Saturday, October 09, 2004

Losing Our Creativity?

So while I was showering and refelcting upon my experencies this week in the technology portion of the first year seminar I had an interesting realization. With the new technologies that there are it has become easier for everyone to compose and create orginal music. I wonder if the ease of creating music has decreased it's quality. Have musicians lost some of their compositional talent? No longer do they have to labor for hours over scores, instead they can play a few notes on their midi keyboard and ta-da, their work is done. Of course it's not quite as simple as that, but it has become alot easier to put music on print. And I do wonder also if there are more composers now. The field of composing music has most likely grown so it is probably harder to find employment.
I know that to become a composer one must posess a great amount of talent, but techonlolgy still makes me wonder; is the amount of talent required lessening over the years?