Thursday, September 16, 2004

Where do I go from here?

So I just had a revelation; I don't know where to go on Monday! The Indian portion of the First Year Seminar is over and now I don't know where to go next. I guess I'll just follow the crowd on Monday.
When thinking about all of this I had another revelation. As American's we have to decide for ourselves where we are going in our lives. In Indian culture, if your father is a musician then you'll be one too. No one in my family is a musician. I'm going into uncharted territory. It's probably a lot easier in India because the family's of musicians are also musicians. I'm very lucky to have a supportive family, but I have a lot of friends whose family's are not so supportive of their musical endeavors.
While thinking about going places I thought of something that my voice teacher told me today. Dr. Irwin said to me, "Stacey you're going places." Okay...that's great. But where am I going? Where do I go? (as the legendary song from the musical Hair asks.) I yearn for a "normal" life. I want a husband, kids, and a nice little house in the suburbs. However there is a huge part of me that also wants so much more. I don't want to follow the crowd. I want to sing. I want to be on the stage and touch people with my art. I want to travel, and see the world. Hell, I want to change the world. Where do I go from here?
I mustn't spend too much time worrying however because I think, that maybe, I can do everything I want...and more.