Sunday, September 19, 2004

WEEK 2

Well, week 2 continued on quite the same as week 1. We had more reading to do to expose us to the Indian culture and much more raga singing! That was so fun! By the end of the week (exam time!!) I could sing straight through all 14 ragas on third kala, relatively accurately and I felt really accomplished. My favorite part was when we would be practicing upstairs in the PAC and the upperclassmen would walk by and just smile and nod and even sing along for a bit. Then the other freshman would walk up and just start laughing hysterically and we would just say "OH! you haven't had Prof. Johnsson (sp?) yet." I definitely enjoyed that experience. Some things would be really weird, like being so under the control of your parents to where they pretty much determind your future and your career and what type of person you are. That also happens in some European countries (I know it does in Ireland) and that would really bother me. I like being able to chose what I'm going to do in my life, I know for a fact that my parents wouldn't have chosen music or piano to be my career and my future. It's just so different and I think all of us are really fortunate to have been able to just get that little glimse of what life there would be like.