Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Oral Transmission...

To understand oral transmission, I will first tell you what the two words mean seperate. Oral means an examination conducted by word of mouth. Transmission is simply the act of sending a mesage. Oral transmission is any of the ways that music is perserved over time. A distinction has traditionally been made between oral and written transmission. In many cultures and repertories, transmission is almost exclusively oral, without the aid of musical notation. In many cultures and repertories, transmission is almost exclusively oral or without the aid of musical notation. In my words, oral transmission is teaching people or someone music without any of it written down. If I were going to teach someone one a piano song, there would be no music involved and I would teach them by ear. Meaning I would play it and then they would copy or imitate me.
(The Harvard Dictionary of Music: Randel, Don)