Friday, September 17, 2004

Missing the Class...

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally will miss this portion of our First Year Seminar. I really enjoyed this class. Not only was singing these raga's at 9am fun, but it woke you up and warmed your voice up too! Keeping tala and singing at the same time was hard at first, but like anything else after you do it so many times it just comes natural. After doing my singing exam this morning, I found that even if I missed a pitch, I was still keeping perfect raga. My hand seemed to be in its own little world. For me its kind of like when I play the piano. When I first started it was hard to constantly sit straight up while playing. (This also can be compared to sitting indian style). However, eventually it was just a habbit. When I sat down to play, I sat straight up. While I was singing the ragas, my hand/fingers would automatically keep tala. Throughout this class there were times when I wished we could have had a few days just to listen to Dr. Johnson's experience of living in South India. I can't imagine the culture shock! I hope that we will be able to borrow the shruti box again, because I would love to show all of my Cincinnati friends the way of singing ragas!